Gender equality is an extremely debatable topic. Sooner or later, every group of friends, colleagues, or classmates will touch on this subject. Discussions never stop, and this topic is always relevant.
This is not surprising, as our society hasn’t reached 100% equality yet. Pay gaps, victimization, abortion laws, and other aspects remain painful for millions of women. You should always be ready to structure your thoughts and defend your point of view on this subject. Why not practice with our list of essay topics about gender equality?
We’ve prepared 70 original ideas for you. Besides, at the end of our article, you’ll find a list of inspirational sources for your essay.
Argumentative Essay Topics About Gender Equality
- Does society or a person define gender?
- Can culturally sanctioned gender roles hurt adolescents’ mental health?
- Who or what defines the concepts of “masculinity” and “femininity” in modern society?
- Should the rules of etiquette be changed because they’ve been created in the epoch of total patriarchy?
- Why is gender equality higher in developed countries? Is equality the cause or the result of the development?
- Are gender stereotypes based on the difference between men’s and women’s brains justified?
- Would humanity be more developed today if gender stereotypes never exited?
- Can a woman be a good politician? Why or why not?
- What are the main arguments of antifeminists? Are they justified?
- Would our society be better if more women were in power?
Analytical Gender Equality Topics
- How do gender stereotypes in the sports industry influence the careers of athletes?
- Social and psychological foundations of feminism in modern Iranian society: Describe women’s rights movements in Iran and changes in women’s rights.
- Describe the place of women in today’s sports and how this situation looked a hundred years ago.
- What changes have American women made in the social and economic sphere? Describe the creation of a legislative framework for women’s empowerment.
- How can young people fix gender equality issues?
- Why do marketing specialists keep taking advantage of gender stereotypes in advertising?
- How does gender inequality hinder our society from progress?
- What social problems does gender inequality cause?
- How does gender inequality influence the self-image of male adolescents?
- Why is the concept of feminism frequently interpreted negatively?
Argumentative Essay Topics About Gender Equality in Art and Literature
- Theory of gender in literature: do male and female authors see the world differently? Pick one book and analyze it in the context of gender.
- Compare and contrast how gender inequality is described in L. Tolstoy’s novel “Anna Karenina” and G. Flaubert’s novel “Madame Bovary.” Read and analyze the mentioned books, distinguish how gender inequality is described, and how the main characters manage this inequality.
- The artificial gender equality and class inequality in the novel “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley.
- Do modern romance novels for teenagers help to break gender stereotypes, or do they enforce them?
- Gender equality changes through Disney animation films. Analyze the scenarios of Disney animation films from the very beginning. Describe how the overall mood in relation to female characters and their roles has changed.
- Henrik Ibsen touched on the topic of gender inequality in his play “A Doll’s House.” Why was it shocking for a 19th century audience?
- Concepts of gender inequality through examples of fairy tales. Analyze several fairy tales that contain female characters. What image do they have? Do these fairy tales misrepresent the nature of women? How do fairy tales spoil the world view of young girls?
- Why do female heroes rarely appear in superhero movies?
- Heroines of the movie “Hidden Figures” face both gender and racial inequalities. In your opinion, has the American society solved these issues entirely?
- The problem of gender inequality in the novel “The Color Purple” by Alice Walker.
Gender Equality Essay Ideas: Workplace and Employment
- Dress code in the workplace: Does it help to solve the problem of gender inequality, or is it a detriment?
- What kind of jobs are traditionally associated with men and women? How have these associations changed in the last 50 years?
- The pay gap between men and women: is it real?
- How can HR managers overcome gender stereotypes while hiring a new specialist?
- Analyze the concepts of “glass ceiling” and “glass elevator.” Do these phenomena still exist in our society?
Essay Topics About Gender Equality: Religion
- Gender aspects of Christian virtue and purity in the Bible.
- What does the equality of men and women look like from the perspective of Christianity? Can a woman be a pastor?
- Orthodox Judaism: Women and the transformation of their roles in a religious institute. Describe the change in women’s roles in modern Judaism.
- How can secularism help solve the problem of gender inequality in religious societies?
- Is the problem of gender inequality more serious in religious societies?
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics About Gender Equality
- Compare and contrast the problems men and women experience in managerial positions.
- Compare and contrast what progress has been made on gender equality in the USA and Sweden.
- Compare and contrast the social status of women in ancient Athens and Sparta.
- Conduct a sociological analysis of gender asymmetry in various languages. Compare and contrast the ways of assigning gender in two different languages.
- Compare and contrast the portrayal of female characters in 1960s Hollywood films and in modern cinematography (pick two movies). What has changed?
Gender Equality Topics: Definitions
- Define the term “misandry.” What is the difference between feminism and misandry?
- Define the term “feminology.” How do feminologists help to break down prejudice about the gender role of women?
- Define the term “catcalling.” How is catcalling related to the issue of gender inequality?
- Define the term “femvertising.” How does this advertising phenomenon contribute to the resolution of the gender inequality issue?
- Define the term “misogyny.” What is the difference between “misogyny” and “sexism”?
Gender Equality Essay Ideas: History
- The roles of the mother and father through history.
- Define the most influential event in the history of the feminist movement.
- What ancient societies preached matriarchy?
- How did World War II change the attitude toward women in society?
- Woman and society in the philosophy of feminism of the second wave. Think on works of Simone de Beauvoir and Betty Friedan and define what ideas provoked the second wave.
Essay Topics About Gender Equality in Education
- How do gender stereotypes influence the choice of major among high school students?
- Discuss the problems of female education in the interpretation of Mary Wollstonecraft. Reflect on the thoughts of Mary Wollstonecraft on gender equality and why women should be treated equally to men.
- Self-determination of women in professions: Modern contradictions. Describe the character of a woman’s self-determination as a professional in today’s society.
- Should gender and racial equality be taught in elementary school?
- Will sex education at schools contribute to the development of gender equality?
Gender Equality Topics: Sex and Childbirth
- Sexual violence in conflict situations: The problem of victimization of women.
- The portrayal of menstruation and childbirth in media: Now versus twenty years ago.
- How will the resolution of the gender inequality issue decrease the rate of sexual abuse toward women?
- The attitude toward menstruation in different societies and how it influences the issue of gender equality.
- How does the advertising of sexual character aggravate the problem of gender inequality?
- Should advertising that uses sexual allusion be regulated by the government?
- How has the appearance of various affordable birth control methods contributed to the establishment of gender equality in modern society?
- Do men have the right to give up their parental duties if women refuse to have an abortion?
- Can the child be raised without the influence of gender stereotypes in modern society?
- Did the sexual revolution in the 1960s help the feminist movement?
How do you like our gender equality topics? We’ve tried to make them special for you. When you pick one of these topics, you should start your research. We recommend you to check the books we’ve listed below.
Non-Fiction Books and Articles on Gender Equality Topics
- Beecher, C. “The Peculiar Responsibilities of American Women.”
- Connell, R. (2011). “Confronting Equality: Gender, Knowledge and Global Change.”
- Doris H. Gray. (2013). “Beyond Feminism and Islamism: Gender and Equality in North Africa.”
- Inglehart Ronald, Norris Pippa. (2003). “Rising Tide: Gender Equality and Cultural Change Around the World.”
- Mary Ann Danowitz Sagaria. (2007). “Women, Universities, and Change: Gender Equality in the European Union and the United States (Issues in Higher Education).”
- Merrill, R. (1997). “Good News for Women: A Biblical Picture of Gender Equality.”
- Mir-Hosseini, Z. (2013). “Gender and Equality in Muslim Family Law: Justice and Ethics in the Islamic Legal Process.”
- Raymond F. Gregory. (2003). “Women and Workplace Discrimination: Overcoming Barriers to Gender Equality.”
- Rubery, J., & Koukiadaki, A. (2016). “Closing the Gender Pay Gap: A Review of the Issues, Policy Mechanisms and International Evidence.”
- Sharma, A. (2016). “Managing Diversity and Equality in the Workplace.”
- Sika, N. (2011). “The Millennium Development Goals: Prospects for Gender Equality in the Arab World.”
- Stamarski, C. S., & Son Hing, L. S. (2015). “Gender Inequalities in the Workplace: The Effects of Organizational Structures, Processes, Practices, and Decision Makers’ Sexism.”
- Verniers, C., & Vala, J. (2018). “Justifying Gender Discrimination in the Workplace: The Mediating Role of Motherhood Myths.”
- Williams, C. L., & Dellinger, K. (2010). “Gender and Sexuality in the Workplace.”
Literary Works for Your Gender Equality Essay Ideas
- “A Doll’s House” by Henrik Ibsen
- “A Room of One’s Own” by Virginia Woolf
- “Anna Karenina” by Leo Tolstoy
- “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley
- “The Awakening” by Kate Chopin
- “The Color Purple” by Alice Walker
- “The Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood
- “The Help” by Kathryn Stockett
- “The Scarlet Letter” by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- “The Second Sex” by Simone de Beauvoir
We’re sure that with all of these argumentative essay topics about gender equality and useful sources, you’ll get a good grade without much effort! If you have any difficulties with your homework, our expert writers are always ready to help you. Our cheap essay writing service has one of the lowest pricing policies on the market. Fill in the ordering form, and we guarantee that you’ll get a cheap, plagiarism-free sample as soon as possible!